14 Robinson Road, #08-01A, Far East Finance
Building, Singapore 048545
Tel: 6829 7171 (Mon to Fri 8.30am - 5.30pm)
SMS : 9386 1459 ( 24 hours )
Fax : 62190985 / 6754 2410 ( 24 hours )
Babysitting, Babysitters, Childcare, Nanny, Nannies, Babies and
Tips for Entertaining Children
Ideas for Entertaining Infants
Babies have short attention spans and are frequently interested in
a toy or activity for only a FEW MINUTES at a time. Babysitters and
nannies have to be patient with the baby/infants during babysitting.
Don't expect more from the baby/infants than he is old enough to give.
A good nanny has to be very sensitive to a baby/infants.
Babies/Infants from Birth to Six Months:
- Rocking, cuddling, gentle handling
- Brightly colored objects, that make noise or are soft to touch
- Singing lullabies or playing a music box
- Letting baby look in a mirror
- Nursery games such as peek-a-boo, pat-a-cake, this little piggy,
Babies from Six Months to One Year...
- Games where baby drops object and you pick it up (make sure object
is not breakable)
- Nursery games as above
- Stroller ride by the nanny, if the weather is nice
- Walk around the house looking at and naming things
- Rolling a ball to baby
Ideas for Entertaining Toddlers during childcare
Toddlers are excited about learning and doing things for
themselves. They do not share and are too young to play well with
other children. However, they frequently enjoy playing beside other
children. As a nanny, you may want to take note of these.
- Building with blocks AND knocking them down
- Action toys such as a toy they push or pull - toy sweepers, lawn
mowers, wagons, and carts
- Toys that let them play grown up such as telephones, dolls, tool
sets, and dish sets
- Outdoor play with balls, sandbox, or just exploring
- Soft stuffed animals or puppets
- Children's songs and finger games such as "Itsy-Bitsy Spider",
"Row, Row, Row your Boat," or making music themselves with toy
- Simple games like "hide and seek." Be sure to hide so that part of
you can be seen to allow the child to be successful at finding you.
BEWARE OF SAFETY HAZARDS SUCH AS ELECTRICAL OUTLETS, STAIRS, AND
Ideas for Entertaining School Age Children
Doing things with school age children during childcare can be a lot
of fun for both of you. You may have forgotten how much fun some of
these activities are:
- Board games such as Clue, Monopoly
- Word games such as Hang-Man and Scrabble
- Game show games such as Win, Lose, or Draw
- Jumping rope
- "Mother May I," Red light/Green light
- Playing catch or basketball, throwing Frisbees
Ideas for Entertaining Preschoolers
Preschoolers are able to do many things for themselves. However,
they may require assistance with bedtime, eating, and toileting.
Some ideas for entertaining preschoolers during quiet and active
play are listed below.
- Easy board games such as Candyland, Chutes and Ladders
- Imaginative games such as playing school, store or spaceships
- Listening to stories that you make up or read. DO NOT TELL SCARY
STORIES WHEN YOU ARE BABYSITTING. Young children may become
extremely frightened and have nightmares or trouble going to bed.
- Taking a walk to find "treasures" such as pine cones, pretty
rocks or other things
- Tag or hide-and-seek
- Riding toys - be careful to supervise
Playing with Play Dough
Keeping children busy indoors on rainy days can be a challenge
for babysitters and nannies during childcare. Playing with play
dough is always a favorite activity and it's even educational!
Children enjoy pushing, rolling, squeezing, molding, and pounding
gooey play dough. Some play dough tips:
- Allow the child to just play with it without necessarily making
- Children enjoy making "play food" out of play dough, but be sure
they really don't eat it!
- Hard plastic toys, such as action figures and dinosaurs, are fun
to hide in the play dough or to press to make an imprint. Be sure
the toys are at least as big as the child's fist.
- Be creative, have fun, and those spring showers will be over
before you know it.
Babysitters and nannies who are well-prepared for babysitting will
be highly respected and greatly appreciated by parents.
All Rights Reserved.