14 Robinson Road, #08-01A, Far East Finance
Building, Singapore 048545
Tel: 6829 7171 (Mon to Fri 8.30am - 5.30pm)
SMS : 9386 1459 ( 24 hours )
Fax : 62190985 / 6754 2410 ( 24 hours )
GUIDE FOR BABYSITTERS, NANNY, NANNIES in CHILDCARE for BABIES,
INFANTS and CHILDREN
When you babysit, you are entrusted with a child's life. Your
primary responsibility is to care for the children's needs and keep
them safe. Below are the guidelines that babysitters/nannies should
follow during childcare:
- Have the following information written down and readily accessible
in the event of an emergency: Family name, children's names, house
address, parents' contacts, phone number(s) of close relatives and
neighbors, doctor's name and phone number.
- In the event of an emergency: Call 999: identify yourself by name,
tell them you are babysitting and state the problem. State the
address of the house where you are babysitting and the phone number
you are calling from.
- Get written instructions about any medicines to be given to the
children, babies or infants.
- As a nanny, having visitors while babysitting is a bad policy.
Always get approval if you would like to have a visitor during
- Check the house for any special locks, windows that cannot be
climbed out of, other telephones and anything all that would be a
problem in case of an emergency.
- Check for hazards and things that the children can get into in the
house, such as matches, lighter fluid, electric cords, plastic bags,
medication, or anything else that may be dangerous.
- Have a mental fire drill: plan on more ways than one to get
yourself and the children out of the house in case of fire.
- Find out if you are to give the children anything to eat or drink
- Ensure all the doors and windows are locked from the inside, and
lock the front door after the parents leave.
WHAT TO DO AFTER THE PARENTS LEAVE
- Turn on the porch/outside light in the evening before leaving.
- Check on the sleeping children about every 15 minutes during
- If the children are up, know their location at all times and never
leave them alone too long.
- TAKE THE CHILDREN WITH YOU if you need to leave the house!
- As a nanny, DO NOT open the door for anyone unless you personally
know the person.
- Call the police at 999 if a stranger insists on coming into the
IN CASE OF FIRE
- Sound the alarm -- yell FIRE as loud as possible.
- If possible, close the door to the area where the fire is.
- DO NOT attempt to extinguish the fire, but rather attempt to save
- Get everyone (children, babies and infants) out of the house, and
do not go back in for any reason.
- Keep all the children, babies and infants together, and go to the
approved neighbors's home.
- Call the Fire Department at 995 and leave the children with the
neighbors, then go back outside to direct the fire fighters to the
fire if you need to.
Well-prepared babysitters and nannies will be highly respected and
greatly appreciated by parents.
All Rights Reserved.